Shallot one part needs household staple food for cooking, be it to make sambal, sauteed vegetable, gulai meat, chicken, etc.
Because of its ever increasing needs, it is not strange that this plant has a more expensive price than garlic or other foodstuffs.
For that, it doesn't hurt to learn how to plant your own shallots.
Expensive food prices can we sisasati by planting themselves the house is even simple can be planted in a polybag, the result of shallots can reduce the cost of expenditure on the food alias save.
Technically, shallots are able to adapt well when planted in lowlands, both in irrigation land as well as in dry land, even shallots can grow well in the land at high sand level though.
Thus shallots have the prospect to be developed in dry land even though only with narrow land. Here are the initial conditions that must be fulfilled when you want to cultivate or simply plant a shallot plant:
- Shallots can grow in lowland to high altitude. Look for areas that have a height of 0 to 800 meters above sea level.
- Next, select the area that is exposed to direct sunlight for more than 12 hours, with an exposure of about 75 percent, because shallots are in need of sunlight as well as the temperature of 25 to 32 degrees Celsius.
- The next requirement is the soil should be fertile, loose and contain many organic materials and have a pH level in the number 7. Because the onion plants are still in the process of growth, so it takes a lot of food intake. The type of soil used should be good namely the soil type of sandy clay or dusty clay
- Next, the texture of the soil, which is one of the requirements so that the onion plants can grow to the fullest, for example the land of rice fields and moor that is suitable for growth of shallots.
- Try having a good groundwater drainage.
- Lastly, the next thing to note is that soil humidity of approximately 70 percent.
Tools and materials to prepare
- Fertile soil
- Shallot seeds
You can get the seeds from the shallots at home.
How to plant shallots in pots
- Prepare the pot and fertile ground as a medium of soil. Combine a small amount of fertilizer into the soil.
- Choose a nice onion as a seedling. Avoid shallots that already have black patches, because it can cause illness.
- Cut the tip of the onion a bit. If there is a leaf in the red onion, do not have to cut.
- Place some of the old onion cloves into the pot. The old shallots have a slightly dry physical characteristic and sometimes have little leaves appearing.
- Place at a depth of 5 to 7 cm into the ground, and then return to the ground. Do not press while planting it, yes.
- Don't forget to flush the prospective shallots every morning and afternoon. Prevent water from flooded in pots.
- Shallots can usually be harvested after 60 – 90 days. The signs of shallots that can be harvested are already have a leaf that wither and slightly dry. Now, when planting it in the pot, there are usually onions that soar upward.
- Shallots that have been harvested should you dry for 1 – 2 weeks, so that the water content decreases. So that shallots become more durable when stored.
Had not believed to be tried by yourself Alhamdulillah red onion planted the house is now reducing the cost of not buying onions anymore, because it already has its own onion plant.
Let's cultivate shallots.